• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 charxUK

charxUK

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

Anyone else here have a tendency to mis-use prescription drugs?

I have been known to take my mothers Tramadol and/or Amitriptalyne since my teenage years. I never really took it to "get high" or feel a buzz, more like to enduce sleep therefore making life bareable.

Like with most drugs I can stop, but they do always call to me during the dark times.

X

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” 

#2 MissMeyer

MissMeyer

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:05 PM

I tend to overdose on drugs I get prescribed for certain conditions as a form of self harm... Stupid, I know.

Edited by MissMeyer, 03 March 2015 - 06:06 PM.

#3 Nook

Nook

Nook

• Members
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationFighting!

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:45 PM

This used to be a huge problem for me.. Also just wanted to sleep as well and as long as possible to "survive" and deal with life... Numb out from the world and pain for a bit...
I kept needing more and more and lead to some serious overdoses :(
Thankfully now though, I am doing much, much better with this... Though I think that's where the alcohol has come in in its place... Hopefully with continued work things will keep improving. Definitely understand the "call" during particularly dark times though...

Hope things get better for you too ((hugs))

#4 limon-miele

limon-miele

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:51 PM

Yep, a few particular ones. Very bad habit, one of my worst.

x

#5 CoffeeJunkie

CoffeeJunkie

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationIn my own little world.

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:18 AM

Me too.
Also have a tendency to hoard, you know, just in case.

Nana Korobi Ya Oki - Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

All the time you have breath in you're body, there is hope.

#6 somethingvague

somethingvague

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,424 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:37 AM

Yes...I started by stealing my mum's diazepam when I was 13. I kept doing that until I was 17, when they ran out and she noticed. Although never outright blamed me/guessed and I still haven't owned up - not even now she knows of my drug addiction problems. She had bottles and bottles of blue 10mg diazepam. I am surprised I didn't get physically addicted.

When I was 14 was the first time I took co-cydramol. I hadn't been precribed it but I'd had 5 teeth out for my braces and was at home in agony. My mother gave me a pack. I was an idiot and took 6. I remember getting so sick, but afterwards feeling SO high. After that I was obsessed with opiates. Co-codamol, co-dydramol.....my mother was on didydocodeine, and I managed to get a few of her pills when I was 15. I was being home tutored by then, my mother was never in..so when my home tutor (which was 5 hours a week) wasn't there, I'd be medicating myself with opiates and diazepam. I don't know how my mother didn't notice.

I do feel bad for stealing my mum's medication. I've told her about the opiates recently. OTC opiates, like solphadeine max soluble, is how I ended up on heroin. I am not lecturing, and not saying you'll end up the same. But please be careful with abusing tramadol. I don't know how many you're taking, but there is a risk of seizures with it if you're taking too many, or if you are taking it with an SSRI. And I just worry that once people get a taste for opiates, it is natural to want to try stronger ones. Not necessarily street drugs, but shit like oxycontin/mst's etc. I was hooked on oxy's before I got onto heroin. Heroin is the natural choice because its cheaper.

Anyway your post wasn't about that so I'll shut up about that! I find now that the only thing I abuse is my subutex. And with that, it's no longer the amount I take, but the way I take it (like snorting or injecting it instead of sublingual) it's a habit I am finding impossible to break, and to be honest right now I don't care. I probably would be abusing other drugs, but I have no benzo's left. I have a stupid amount of drugs though, just random stuff I've been prescribed, no longer take, or stuff I've been given by others etc...all in a box. It's not in case I want to OD its incase I need to treat something and worry the Dr won't prescribe it again etc. Like, I have zolpidem I was precribed when I was living up north....I rarely need it but I doubt my GP would prescribe it. with stuff like that I'm able to use sparingly.

I'm medicated, how are you?

#7 someone_somewhere

someone_somewhere

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

I guess I do too, though it's not really a problem. Night Nurse used to be my friend before I found out how easy it was to be prescribed things that have the same effect!

#8 charxUK

charxUK

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for all the replys guys. Its terrible that we all go through this in one way or another. :(

I think my question is this, does this still class as an addiction? Esp in cases where we are stashing things "just in case"?

@somethingvague thankyou as always for your advice. I haven't taken tramadol for nearly a year (don't live with parents anymore) it never really did anything for me. I had major spinal surgery when I was 14 and was on ALOT of morphine, and ever since then opiate pain killers don't really do much except knock me out. & I was always shocked how my mother never noticed either. Madness.

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” 

#9 somethingvague

somethingvague

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,424 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

I wouldn't call it an 'addiction' if you're just stashing stuff, but then people's interpretations of addiction are different.

I never found tramadol or morphine gave a buzz. I had to inject a lot of morphine to get any kind of buzz so I know what you mean..

That's good you haven't taken it in almost a year, it must feel good not to be physically addicted to opiates. I hate knowing that if I go more than 36 hours without subutex I'll start to get withdrawals.

I'm medicated, how are you?

#10 Fairy

Fairy

.⋆☆ * ˚ • ⋆ .

• Members
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

Not including ODs (misuse for a different reason) yes I have to make things bearable, especially - it's embarrassing to admit this - if there's no alcohol/anything else readily available and I'm desperate to block everything :-\

@somethingvague I could have written some parts of your post myself, the meds - diazepam, co-codamol, codeine & dihydrocodeine - I stole from my mother too. She figured it out but god it felt bad owning up. Dihydrocodeine's the strongest I've taken and luckily I didn't continue down that road but I can so easily see how people get pulled in to wanting something stronger. It must be horrible dealing with withdrawals.

#11 Spiderwebs

Spiderwebs

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,215 posts
  • LocationPlanet Hell

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

Yes. I've self-medicated (to sleep, to not feel, to feel anything else, etc) with various meds.. 

Mostly sleep meds (I do have severe sleep problems) and benzos (for panic attacks) as a teenager. TBH, I'm surprised that I managed to get stuff refilled as much or as long as I did for, with the most ridiculous of excuses about the reason(s) I'd run out already..

I also stole a lot of pain meds from my mother, who has various health issues. And in more recent times have faked injuries/pain in order to get her to give me some.. The occasional time I've been prescribed any narcotic I've finished it pretty much right away..  :ph34r:

My mother also has prescription weed from earlier this year.. Which she stopped taking, as she didn't really like it. And I've been using that far too much recently (she's aware that I'm using it).  :unsure:

Also messed around quite a bit with OTC meds and occasionally prescription stimulants.. 

I do take stimulants for ADHD these days and - besides a couple slips - I'm very careful to take them as prescribed. Because I know that if I start messing with them that it will cycle out of control very quickly..  -_-

I think my question is this, does this still class as an addiction? Esp in cases where we are stashing things "just in case"?

I think it depends on the individual, how much/often they're taking things, any physical dependence, impact on life/functioning, etc.

I have never really classified my own issues as an addiction (mostly because it was far in the past and/or not a really ongoing thing), although I know that I have had some seriously addictive behaviors.. But personally, I tend to refer to it as "self-medicating with X", rather than "addicted to X".

In any case, I think that these sort of behaviors (including stashing things) are obviously unhealthy, whether or not it's really an 'addiction'.. And I think it's probably worth looking into (ie. the why of these behaviors and all that?).. 

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think" - Christopher Robin to Pooh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq