12 replies to this topic

#1 Pensive

Pensive

Onion

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSomewhere, out there.

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:23 AM

When I tell people I have OCD they say things like "So you keep a clean house?" or "That's ok, sometimes I have OCD too".

There are a lot of misconceptions about OCD, it is not something you have 'sometimes', not everyone who has OCD keep a clean house (in fact, hoarding is on the OCD spectrum).

What kinds of misconceptions do you encounter about OCD in your every day life?

• Nook, Snailonvalium, Shadows Fall and 1 other like this

I'm ok.

#2 Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

• Members
  • 3,961 posts
  • LocationNw, UK

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:17 AM

The hand washing stereotype irritates me to death!! Or any of the cleaning ones!! The general consensus does seem to be that its all about cleaning and germs when thats just *one* part of OCD....
  • Nook, Shadows Fall and Pensive like this

*~* life asked death, "WHY DO PEOPLE LOVE ME BUT HATE YOU?" death responded, "BECAUSE YOU ARE A BEAUTIFUL LIE AND I AM A PAINFUL TRUTH" *~*

#3 Mikki

Mikki

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 6,284 posts
  • LocationUp north

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

Indeed. I do wash my hands more than many people maybe, but it's just a little bit. And not over and over! I have many odd things. And my flat is the total opposite of tidy. I hoard easily.. I struggle to keep my place clean, I am too busy with other things.

I can't easily separate the eating disorder and the OCD, but then it's all part of the same problem and the OCD tendencies and anxiety was there from I was little little. The food shit came naturally, cause really it was already there. Now it's all a mess. Including my apartment! But I am clean! And empty.

We're all different..

Edited by Mikki, 19 February 2015 - 10:54 AM.

• Nook, Emerald and Pensive like this

#4 Pensive

Pensive

Onion

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:18 PM

I can't easily separate the eating disorder and the OCD, but then it's all part of the same problem and the OCD tendencies and anxiety was there from I was little little. The food shit came naturally, cause really it was already there. Now it's all a mess. Including my apartment! But I am clean! And empty.

Same here! I have suffered with OCD-spectrum behaviors since my first conscious memories, as a result of my chaotic mind. Without the OCD I probably would have never developed anorexia, all of my behaviors were compulsive, all of my thoughts were obsessive.

OCD effects you physically and mentally, weightloss/gain, high blood pressure, sleep deprivation, ex... It's no laughing matter. Sure it's quirky and a little funny when I have to lock the car door multiple times and often leave buildings to check, but people wouldn't think it was so funny if they saw the amount of sleep I am deprived of because of checking.

---------------------

Another thing that irks me about is that people take it so lightly. They don't understand how dark and twisted the intrusive thoughts can be. I while ago I kept getting the thought that I was going to die on a specific date (August 20th, 2012), every minute of every day leading up to it was spent in fear. Another scary intrusive thought was that if I didn't preform certain tasks around the house that I would end up accidentally killing myself or my family. And yes all these twisted lies that our brains come up with do make us feel empty and Mikki I am so sorry you have to deal with the emptiness as well.

Example:

As a child I would lay awake at night because I was afraid the fire alarms would malfunction and the entire household would burn to death in the night.

And the worst part is, is that we know it is irrational!!! I would really appreciate if people would stop acting like we don't.

Edited by Pensive, 19 February 2015 - 12:23 PM.

I'm ok.

#5 Mikki

Mikki

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 6,284 posts
  • LocationUp north

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

I can relate.
I have also been convinced I was going to die soon (and tbf I was very physically unwell with my anorexia/bulimia at the time) and saw signs everywhere etc. I lived like that for a long time. I just knew I had no future. But I am still alive, it's been a few years. Idk if I have a future, but I hope maybe.

As a child I couldn't fall asleep unless my mother of father were holding my hand. This went on for years! They would fall asleep on my bed often. I was worried, scared, anxious. Things just seemed so much worse at night. Everything.

#6 Pensive

Pensive

Onion

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:22 PM

And people think OCD is just 'quirkiness'... It's great to see people who are just as fed up as I am with all the stereotypes!

I'm ok.

#7 Emerald

Emerald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:44 AM

I can't easily separate the eating disorder and the OCD, but then it's all part of the same problem and the OCD tendencies and anxiety was there from I was little little. The food shit came naturally, cause really it was already there. 

Yep, this was me as well. I had such bad anxiety as a kid that I was pretty much scared of my own shadow and I ended up creating all these different rituals to help make me feel safe. When the eating disorder stuff started it was just an extension of all my other rituals, but then it ended up taking over and became my main safety ritual/coping mechanism. Even now in recovery I still struggle with urges to ritualise around things like food or food shopping. My Psychiatrist says I have OCD tendencies, which I agree with, but for me it's more centred around things like numbers and checking, not handwashing/obsessively cleaning which is what most people think when you say 'OCD'. Someone coming into my house might be like 'How can you say you have OCD tendencies when your place is such a mess' and I'd just be like 'Okay then, try coming shopping with me on a bad day and see how long it takes me just to place one item in my shopping basket'.  

Conquering myself until 

I see another hurdle approaching.
Say we can, say we will, 
Not just another drop in the ocean.

~~~~~~

recovery support please

emily, amy, julia, karen-ann, alexandra, lisa, tierney, jay, hannah and kendra r.i.p

#8 Kazma1984

Kazma1984

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:26 AM

I hear you all. My workmate was annoyed by the way I had arranged the filing cabinet once and she says "see that's my OCD". I'm thinking "really???? That's your ocd? You lucky *bleep* if You don't change it are you gojng to be awake all night worried you're going to kill someone?? Is it gojng to take over your mind for the next few days and make you unable to even hold down a normal conversation with someone??" If it annoys you for a second but you can move on you don't know OCD!

Edited by Kazma1984, 23 March 2015 - 07:31 AM.

#9 Spectra

Spectra

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:45 AM

I have OCD as well and I am not a germaphobe, but a lot of people think that I am if I tell them about my OCD.  For me, it's other rituals, like having to wash my hands at a certain time of day, having to wipe my kitchen floor up every single night, having to stir my coffee four times, having to use the same utensils for every meal, etc. 

• Kazma1984 likes this

#10 Kazma1984

Kazma1984

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:26 PM

Yes I have a certain bowl I must use to have my breakfast in. At the moment, I don't feel that my OCD is so bad that I would completely lose the plot if I didn't have it but I do feel mildly anxious and annoyed if I'm not at home and can't stick to my usual breakfast routine. I also can't change what I eat for breakfast. I would love to be able to have bacon and eggs every now and then but can't cope with it. That's probably more ED than OCD though.
I also have my mugs that I drink my coffee from and become quite angry inside if anyone else uses them.

#11 Luna

Luna

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:33 PM

I suffer from what my psychiatrist calls Obsessive intrusive thoughts and hyper-responsibility.

I worry all the time that if I don't hurt myself the right way or if I don't follow the rules the voices set then people I love will get hurt, tortured or die.

I also see images of horrible things happening to people which causes a lot of anxiety and fear. 

#12 Wednesday

Wednesday

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:04 AM

Example:

As a child I would lay awake at night because I was afraid the fire alarms would malfunction and the entire household would burn to death in the night.

I'm late to this thread, but woah- I did this as a kid and even as a teenager! I remember my parents leaving us alone with a babysitter one night and I was so so scared that I tried to phone my parents at the party they were at. They didn't answer... so I just sat awake for what felt like ALL night until they came home. 

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if they had answered that phone call.... it's one of the only times I ever tried to ask for help... I wonder what they would have said... (I can predict that it would have been 'Stop being so silly and go back to bed' and then they would have hung up the phone and gone back to the party). 

I used to have this believe that if I breathed at the wrong pace then the world would explode. (Like some how my breathe was connected with controlling the world? Haha). My rational brain would say- if I don't breathe, then I'm definitely going to die... so I may as well take the risk and keep breathing... the world never did explode (although I did have nightmares about it happening). 

#13 Hello-Kitty

Hello-Kitty

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:06 PM

Not sure if this is my OCD but I have always been scared that people will die while they are eating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq