188 replies to this topic

#1 Lottie

Lottie

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 4,180 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:35 AM

For all of you, all of us, who are trying to get on top of such things!

Practice, Patience, Persistence

imagejpg3_zps0b013c84.jpg     imagejpg4_zps71f54240.jpg

#2 Lottie

Lottie

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 4,180 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:36 AM

I need to do something different than my usual efforts... So I'm here for support and accountability.

Today is day one. There have been so many day ones... But my body needs me to not drink. So does my mind.

One day at a time?!

• Nook and GW-Project like this

#3 GW-Project

GW-Project

We're here because we care <3

• Members
  • 2,801 posts
  • LocationFrom the Universe with Love

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:43 AM

^ Exactly! Do you have specific goals/scores in mind? I am wishing you the very, very best for this month in all aspects, especially this goal as you say you need to break the habit.

I'm in. Next week the liquor store owner is going to have a heart-to-heart with me about my drinking. He recognizes that he is not a medical professional in any way but he does have a liquor license, he does know how much time it takes for a liver to process this devilish stuff and such. Plus, he is the only one that truly knows how much I buy/drink and at what pace.

My goal is 1/4th of where I was at. I'll probably go for 1/8th as soon as I have adjusted to 1/4th.

• Nook likes this

Trying to stay sane is like a full-time hobby

#4 Lottie

Lottie

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 4,180 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:25 AM

My goal? No alcohol at all. Currently sitting here drinking de-alcoholised champagne :P

• Nook and GW-Project like this

#5 Nook

Nook

Nook

• Members
  • 28,981 posts
  • LocationFighting!

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:12 AM

Well done lottie :) agree with you- one day at a time. That's all we can do. I hope November is a positive one for you, and have definitely found being accountable here has helped me a lot (though still a long way to go)

Good luck everyone with whatever your goals are. I hope we can all sense some progress by the end of the month :)

#6 GW-Project

GW-Project

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:54 AM

^ Thank you and good riddance to you as well! I do want to say that in my case "progress" might already mean becoming more aware that I went too far the previous day et cetera. It's a baby step but that's how it's done I guess, unless you go hardcore cold turkey?

Nonetheless I aced my 1/4 goal yesterday (technically still October though) There was even a tiny bit left but it's hard to measure I drink straight out of the bottle. What I did is measure an empty bottle, compare its weight to a full one, and based on that create four divisions using markers.

#7 letsholdhands

letsholdhands

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 685 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:35 PM

2.5 today

• GW-Project likes this

#8 GW-Project

GW-Project

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:00 PM

I have no idea how I'm going to manage my 1/4th a liter today. The bottle has almost reached its second mark and it's only 4 PM. I try to distract myself with tea and solving a puzzle while trying to remind myself that every minute I don't drink gives my liver time to detox... but man...only a few sips left for tonight? I'm going to give myself a huge high five if I manage because that would be a miracle... Kind of anxious.

Edited by GW-Project, 01 November 2014 - 03:00 PM.

#9 GW-Project

GW-Project

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:16 PM

It's a little over 7 PM and I have got two tiny sips left at most if I want to stick to my goal... I took my sleeping meds early just for this reason. Ultimately it was a stupid decision and I actually think they aren't going to kick in because these are quite mild ones that interact with the state you're in. Idk, ask my doctor. Anyway, I'm going to call it 0/1 but to give myself some credit I got very close and a little over 250 ml is a lot coming from 1 liter if you ask me :)

#10 GW-Project

GW-Project

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

Damnit. I thought I was being so smart with my measuring and marker system (you cannot just say it weighs 1 kg, that only applies to water)

But now that I'm over the second marker - as in drank too much today - it's going to be hell to determine 1/4th's from hereon out... We've got way too many shake cups with measurement lines though, maybe I should start using them as a daily allowance?

So yeah, 0/1 it is

#11 letsholdhands

letsholdhands

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 685 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:15 PM

Great job GW, truly amazing  :)

#12 GW-Project

GW-Project

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:46 PM

You applauded too early hun... It's still technically Nov 1rst over here and I decided to just go fuck it and drink, and I'm still drinking.

Edited by GW-Project, 01 November 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#13 letsholdhands

letsholdhands

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 685 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:39 AM

I'm sorry, good luck for tomorrow  :)

#14 Buttons

Buttons

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,103 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:24 AM

Joining! I need to wait till this weekend is over though. Fresh start on Monday and all that.
  • GW-Project likes this

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

#15 GW-Project

GW-Project

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:56 AM

Since I've got an empty bottle lying next to me and it is technically 7 AM Nov. 2nd over here, I should already call it 0/2 Actually: -2/2 would be more accurate :(

I don't want to seek for excuses but does anyone here think that perhaps I made a mistake in setting my goals (going from 1L of vodka to 250 ml a day)?

#16 Lottie

Lottie

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 4,180 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:05 AM

^ Thank you and good riddance to you as well!

Hey? Don't understand...

Progress is naturally different for everyone. Goals are going to be different for everyone. We'll all fall down at times and it might look different but it's still falling down to us. Similar but different journey!

Nook - Thanks, hun. For me the progress is sticking it out long-term, or rather, at this point in the game, taking my meds. I have a med that I cannot drink on - disulfuram. As long as I take it, consuming alcohol is pretty darn dangerous. So by choosing to take it in the morning, I'm choosing not to drink that day... Or the next... So some times sticking on the med is the hard bit, even if I have to wait days to have a drink! So. In many ways it's easier to not drink initially, but STICKING with it (which I haven't managed to do over the past 5 or so years) is another thing all together! That said, every step forward is another step forward!

#17 GW-Project

GW-Project

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:17 AM

I'm sorry for creating any confusion. I honestly don't know where I went wrong in my posts...?

• Jeni likes this

#18 letsholdhands

letsholdhands

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 685 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:13 AM

Since I've got an empty bottle lying next to me and it is technically 7 AM Nov. 2nd over here, I should already call it 0/2 Actually: -2/2 would be more accurate :(

I don't want to seek for excuses but does anyone here think that perhaps I made a mistake in setting my goals (going from 1L of vodka to 250 ml a day)?

GW, not to worry! ...and it's ok if you can't do it straight away. Any reduction is great. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Edited by letsholdhands, 02 November 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#19 Lottie

Lottie

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 4,180 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:56 AM

I don't think you did go wrong? I was just confused by that statement! :P

#20 Lottie

Lottie

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 4,180 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

When I think about all the years of not sticking with not drinking, I remind myself that I can NO chance of stopping if I quit trying! I think it's the same for all of us...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq