33 replies to this topic

#1 ribbon

ribbon

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,401 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

As we were saying on the other thread that we should be proud of the reasons we didn't self harm, I thought I would start a thread. It's nice to acknowledge and celebrate times we manage to make better decisions or use other coping mechanisms.

I'll kick off, yesterday I got the sweetest letter from my 10 year old sister. It made me cry. She knows a bit about my MH issues and gave me her suggestions to help (like going and staying with them and playing with her to distract me). It stopped me last night, just thinking of the effort she'd put into it
  • Achromatic, Nook, Snailonvalium and 2 others like this

#2 somethingvague

somethingvague

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,424 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

First of all great thread!

and that is really really sweet of her, and a great reason not to SH. Well done :) It's amazing how grown up and insightful children can be about things like mental health. xx

I didn't self harm today because although it used to be a daily struggle, over the last year of no SH the urges have dropped. I have things I would rather do than sit in A&E getting stitches or roast wearing hot long sleeves in the summer.

• Achromatic, Snailonvalium and ribbon like this

I'm medicated, how are you?

#3 Achromatic

Achromatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:52 AM

Ribbon: That's such a lovely thing for your sister to do and so thoughtful, especially given her age :)

I didn't self harm today because, contrary to what my head tells me, I won't die/explode/lose my mind forever if I just sit with an uncomfortable feeling. I'm not saying that it always works or that I am always capable of sitting through the feeling/distracting myself but it's been around a year and a half since I self harmed (in the traditional sense, I still use harmful behaviours though not today) so something is working. Also I don't keep "things" in the house. It just makes it that bit more of a faff when the urges appear. Like Somethingvague, my urges to self harm have massively decreased in both frequency and intensity though.
  • somethingvague and ribbon like this

#4 ribbon

ribbon

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,401 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

I love the replies in this thread so much. They help me think about a future without sh, something that I struggle to see at times xxx
  • somethingvague likes this

#5 somethingvague

somethingvague

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,424 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

However bad things are at the moment there is definitely hope for a future without SH for everyone, I think so anyway :) If someone said that to me a couple of years ago I wouldn't have believed them. I was in a&e every week and if I wasn't in a&e I was seeing the nurse at my GP surgery. I spent the best part of 2 years on different antibiotics to treat infections where I hadn't got wounds treated properly and from my uncontrolled diabetes not letting me heal as well.

I'm trying to think what motivated me to reduce the severity and eventually stop all together. I remember being in absolute agony with my leg when a cut was infected and being signed off work because I couldn't walk properly and thinking to myself wtf am I doing?! I think it's similar to the ED in a way, it just reaches a point where the reasons to stop outweigh the reasons to continue and I was sick of it all basically. I'm not sure if you feel anything like that with your SH atm.

I remember how distressed I used to get when I had urges to SH when I was making an effort to stop and the thought of fighting urges that strong for the rest of my life seemed impossible back then. My cpn at the time told me to take one day at a time and even a minute at a time when things got bad, and that sounds stupid but it worked. The urges are so rare now and nothing like what they used to be.

I hope you find a reason to live SH free (((Ribbon)))

• ribbon likes this

I'm medicated, how are you?

#6 *mirror*image*

*mirror*image*

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:37 AM

Because i am better than that and it won't solve anything (as unfortunate as that is.. it's very very VERY true)!..
  • ribbon likes this

#7 Starlight

Starlight

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

Because I B/P'd instead.

Which is usually why I don't.

I'm not sure how I feel about it.

#8 ribbon

ribbon

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,401 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

^ Totally relate. I literally just swap behaviours. I probably b/p more days than sh but a day I do neither is very rare.

I haven't yet today because I am trying to see what happens if I don't, even if I really really want to. So I'm "distracting" and feeling all agitated and restless and agh but maybe I can learn from getting through it (if?).
  • Starlight likes this

#9 Starlight

Starlight

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

Yesterday.. Because I took the wrong bus that gave me an extra tour of about an hour.. And after that the feeling had gone down a lot, so that was good.

#10 ribbon

ribbon

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,401 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:59 AM

Yesterday- Because I figured it genuinely wouldn't help and wasn't worth the effort. I was having a very "depressed" day where just moving felt impossible Ended up sleeping a lot instead. 

#11 limon-miele

limon-miele

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:26 PM

^Very glad you didn't self-harm. Hope today has been a little better.

X

#12 letsholdhands

letsholdhands

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 685 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

Felt stressed and angry at someone I hate. Felt even more angry at the idea of self harming because of someone I hate. I refuse to make myself feel more victimized by them. 

• GW-Project likes this

#13 Luna

Luna

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:19 PM

because my partner and her little boy are here.

#14 Fairy

Fairy

.⋆☆ * ˚ • ⋆ .

• Members
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:44 PM

Because I'm not ruining my week free! And would rather be harming some video game bosses instead :D

• GW-Project and letsholdhands like this

#15 Luna

Luna

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:51 PM

because I'm too lazy to clean up and deal with first aid.

• RingoDarling likes this

#16 Pensive

Pensive

Onion

• Members
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSomewhere, out there.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:59 PM

I did not self harm today because I love myself.

I did not self harm today because my family loves me.

I did not self harm today because my puppy would be disappointed in me.

I did not self harm today because no matter how much relief self harm can give in the moment, it is nothing compared to the relief felt when you confide in someone you love.

• Nook likes this

I'm ok.

#17 Luna

Luna

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:52 PM

The burns unit will notice and I can't bear the shame anymore!

#18 charxUK

charxUK

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:35 AM

Cause that would be a shit start to my bday weekend.

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” 

#19 Nook

Nook

Nook

• Members
  • 27,616 posts
  • LocationFighting!

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:25 AM

Because I know it won't really take away the pain... Not for long anyway

#20 charxUK

charxUK

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:26 PM

Love
  • RingoDarling and Pensive like this

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq