technically nothing. 

Except food. 

#3 Achromatic

Achromatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:24 AM

Anything that removes anxiety or switches off my brain. Over the years it's been alcohol, self harm, sex and food (and cigarettes but that's more of a physical addiction than psychological). I may have had treatment for each issue separately (except sex) but really the substance or behaviour is incidental. I'm addicted to the escape from anxiety and the quietening of my mind. I might be greedy with addictions but I'm not prone to addiction to everything. I can pick up and put down stimulant drugs and I'll take a drink over a line any day.
At the moment I'm mainly struggling with food and alcohol.

Edited by Achromatic, 16 October 2014 - 06:26 AM.

• RingoDarling likes this

#4 Buttons

Buttons

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,103 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:17 PM

Anything that removes anxiety or switches off my brain.

Totally.

For me it's bulimia, alcohol, (although I maintain I am mentally addicted not physically) smoking too I guess.

Anything that gives me any kind of rush. I am not addicted to drugs but I take them occasionally, I used to have a much worse habit involving 4 day sessions with no food/sleep. Don't ever want to go back there but god I was so thin. And that in itself is a pull. I won't go back to that life again though.

It used to self harm a hell of a lot too. My arms/legs will never look normal. Again, I won't go back to that ever again.

I kicked self harm and thought I'd 'fixed' myself. In reality I've just traded one form of self destruction for two others. Go me.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

#5 Luna

Luna

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:22 PM

Smoking

Self harm

and Alcohol (though the latter I've never admitted to anyone!)

#6 sarabear

sarabear

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:24 PM

anything i can do to an extreme is hazardous in my case. food, men, drugs, alcohol. i have to tread lightly on life and that is hard. <3 to everyone struggling. i consider us warriors in this world..

• GW-Project, RingoDarling and leigh87ca like this

#7 Daykin

Daykin

New User

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

B/Ping

Alcohol

Gambling

#8 charxUK

charxUK

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

Sex.

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” 

#9 RingoDarling

RingoDarling

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:34 AM

Not that I should like all these posts, but I do. At least you are willing to admit your addictions.

(Everyone is addicted to something.)

It is all summed up;
Q: What are you addicted to?
A: anything to take my mind off that which...

Edited by RingoDarling, 15 March 2015 - 08:35 AM.

#10 someone_somewhere

someone_somewhere

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

I got put on Naltrexone for my addiction to food... true story :P
  • Lottie likes this

#11 RingoDarling

RingoDarling

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:07 AM

^... fascinating. Did it have an effect?

#12 someone_somewhere

someone_somewhere

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

RingoDarling - I don't know really. I would say yes, it did help a bit with the obsessive thoughts, but I think I'm probably quite susceptible to the idea that things make a difference! After a few months my doctor said he'd read up on it more and it hadn't shown to be as effective as first thought when used in this way, I think, and it was reduced then stopped. I feel like I'm always a bit of a guinea pig. As I said when first put on it anyway 'Are you asking me to take something that makes the only enjoyable thing in my life less enjoyable?!' They said it wasn't like that though, ha.

Edited by someone_somewhere, 16 March 2015 - 05:59 PM.

#13 CurlyQue

CurlyQue

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

Cigarettes

Alcohol (sober 1 month)

Bulimia

I was almost 2 years puke free until I stopped drinking recently. I lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks being sober and now I'm back in that spiral where I want to lose more. Sigh

Edited by CurlyQue, 18 March 2015 - 04:27 PM.

#14 SunshineBelle

SunshineBelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

Cigarettes

Alcohol (sober 1 month)

Bulimia

I was almost 2 years puke free until I stopped drinking recently. I lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks being sober and now I'm back in that spiral where I want to lose more. Sigh

Congrats on being sober!! I want to stop b/c i KNOW I would lose weight too. How did you do it? Cold turkey or supports? 

"It's always darkest before the dawn"

#15 SunshineBelle

SunshineBelle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:25 AM

Food (or lack there of)

Alcohol (I would say its more of binge drinking when I hate myself alot and dont want to think about how fat I am)-- Not sure it is an addiction per say but I use it to numb out more then I would like to admit.

"It's always darkest before the dawn"

#16 Brikka

Brikka

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:34 AM

self-destuctive behaviors...absolutely anything that will numb me out and take away my horrible anxiety

I'm not in physical danger of death or anything but I can't get out of this.  If it is not food, too much/too little/purging...then it is alcohol (no one really knows that I essentially drink a bottle of wine a day by myself) and/or drugs.  after that comes sex.  Lately I have been picking the skin on my fingers very badly.  It is so gross and looks so bad but I swear I can't stop.  I want to stop, I want to not be a self-destructive person anymore but I really just don't know how to emotionally cope.  I'm having frequent panic attacks and am absolutely paralyzed by my anxiety and I really just need it to go away some so I can work on the stuff that is giving me anxiety.

but i don't think i'm an addict...not sure if this even makes sense

• Lottie likes this

#17 Fairy

Fairy

.⋆☆ * ˚ • ⋆ .

• Members
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:15 PM

My alcohol use can be problematic but nicotine is the only thing I'm certain I'm addicted to. I am NOT pleasant to be around if I've run out or gone too long without a cig :P
I'm not really sure about stuff like (lack of) food, weighing myself etc. & self-harm. idk how to describe it, it's just...there.

#18 charxUK

charxUK

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:31 PM

Im addicted to using alcohol as a coping mechanism for all my shitty disorders.

I don't drink all day, I don't drink till I blackout (anymore) and I can wake up and not need drink. But as soon as something "bad" happens (quite often you know) I reach straight for that bottle.

And I hate that.

(Or I seek out rough sex, but hell thats a different story altogether.)

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” 

#19 sarabear

sarabear

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:59 PM

Alcohol, drugs, food, men, exercise, pain, anything I can self destruct or disassociate with :/

#20 Ari

Ari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 415 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:23 PM

Been clean for a little over two years
Still feel addicted to some of it tho
Like, I can still taste it, when I want it real real bad
Like I'd take it without a second thought if put in front of me and gf wasn't there

Cocaine.
I'd snort heroin
Pop a bunch of Vicodin
.. But the cocaine really.

Addicted as in, can't seem to go without, still pretty regular, makes me feel great

That would be a chocolate mousse parfait from the French bakery down the street.
Coffee, forever
Wandering around museums
Cracking my knuckles
Lots of kisses
Falafel wraps with pickled beet
Plopping myself on the elliptical and watching say yes to the dress at the gym

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ari, 15 November 2015 - 11:23 PM.

• RingoDarling and sarabear like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq