6 replies to this topic

#1 vampirexs

vampirexs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:33 PM

Just watching BBC news...

Apparently there is now "graphic content" that "glamorizes" eating disorders on Insta... Coverage on the news today acting like it's a new problem?

I don't know why it bothers me so much...
... Maybe because they highlight what to search for? Or because they've ignored it for so long and are now treating it like a new thing?

The rational part of my brain knows that sites should be doing whatever they can to stop young children going down the roads that many of us did... But to do that there also needs to be a degree of parental responsibility (considering many of the children posting and sharing this content are actually not old enough to have instagram yet).

I for one know that my early access to "pro-ana" material online did me no favours!

The ED part of my brain is shouting to go and look for it as people who develop eating disorders will always find material, online or in magazines etc, to feed the illness and strengthen it's hold over us.

I'm rambling now... This is probably in the wrong forum... I don't normally post. But I'm in a wobbly headspace and the news is triggering...

Ergh... Sorry

#2 april_rain

april_rain

Rainbow Unicorn

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 03:08 AM

It's one of those things... Remember when pro-ana/mia/ed sites began to be reported on in the news? And then it inspired various plots in movies/TVshows? That's how I found out about it in the first place... but at least I didn't have access to such things when I was a kid. 

Is that where people go now for pro-ed stuff? Instagram? 

#3 vampirexs

vampirexs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:18 PM

Apparently so... 🤷🏻‍♂️ But most of the hashtags I searched yesterday are blocked lol curiosity got the best of me...

#4 phoenix

phoenix

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 8,289 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:29 PM

I remember the pro-ana sites, I was already into it when I stumbled on to them. It's hard for the news to report about their existence without those whose eds are looking for a place to go. 

As a parent of a troubled teenager, it was a struggle to keep her away from sites that I didn't want her on. Even if I banned her from the sites and took away her phone, she still could use her friends' phones or go to a library or get online at school. The closest I came was after one particularly troublesome event, I called her school to let them know about something that had happened and they shut down the internet for the day and made sure her teachers didn't let her have access to phones (I had taken her phone away). However, that was only for a day. 

I don't use social media, except YouTube but I don't follow any "influencers". 

It does bother me that people would think of it as a new thing. It's just an old problem that has found itself a new home on social media. Just like other things have been able to connect people and spread their influence (radical groups, pedophiles, etc.). I know that many of the groups out there aren't bad things (I watch videos from the Anne Boleyn society) but, as with so many things on the internet and social media, if someone is looking for like minded people (positive or negative), they'll find them. 

• april_rain and vampirexs like this

#5 vampirexs

vampirexs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:49 PM

I think you've hit the nail on the head Pheonix... But unlike you I can't seem to keep away from social media. My accounts are all pretty locked down but whenever I go to report something (triggering images, hate speech etc) it never seems to be against their "community standards".

Part of my work brings me into contact with teenagers at risk of harm and social media (especially snapchat) is one of our biggest obstacles.

#6 phoenix

phoenix

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 8,289 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 01:23 AM

I've never used Snapchat but my daughter did and it seems to have such large potential to be used for negative things.

With my work, I'm supposed to keep up with electronic stuff like what social media companies would use and I find that so hard since I avoid the places.

Sometimes when I bemoan no longer being so young, I realize that I'm lucky that I didn't grow up with social media. The internet wasn't really a thing until I was in college.

#7 *mirror*image*

*mirror*image*

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 09:18 PM

I don't think there should be a place for that stuff in open community spaces. Like ok. If girls are going to form a group and talk about that shit in private conversations, whatever. But it's got no place on social media platforms. Or it shouldn't.

I think the people who own these apps need to run them much more professionally and responsibly. It's just not right to me. They need to have standards and boundaries imo..

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
  • april_rain and phoenix like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq