• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Annie

Annie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:21 PM

I'm more and more strongly feeling that young people and children perhaps to the age of 16 or 18 deaths should not be recorded as suicide.  I came across this story the other day of Pippa Mcmanus. It is so sad. At 15 she ran out in front of a train after a family argument and died. She suffered from anorexia and other co-morbid conditions. At 15 you may not have a good control of your emotions and thoughts.Your brain is not fully developed to. I know i didn't really have the best control of my emotions at that age.

This is Pippa's story

https://www.bbc.co.u...hester-39781995

I've included the Daily Mall article to as it explains the argument that went on in a bit more detail.

https://www.dailymai...epped-trai.html

Edited by Annie, 21 January 2019 - 08:22 PM.

#2 phoenix

phoenix

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 8,289 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:58 PM

I rarely see suicide listed as the cause of death. In fact, I'm trying to think if I've ever seen it in the obits where I've lived. I have seen anorexia listed and it was someone my family knew. The person who died was in her 20s and had struggled for years and her struggles were known by those who knew the family. Her mom was a big advocate to improving care and didn't judge her daughter for it. Anyway, I went on a tangent there. I think for suicides the papers have usually listed either dying unexpectedly and suddenly or after a long-term disease (meaning struggling with mental health). 

I'm with you on not putting it in the obit for a minor. Those who know the family will know what happened but putting the family's pain out there, especially when suicide is sometimes judged by people who don't know the family and know what has gone on as showing that there was something wrong with the family in general that led to it. 

I hope that made sense!

• april_rain likes this

#3 Annie

Annie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:59 AM

I'm in the UK Phoenix, it seems that they are progressive where you live.

I think listing suicide verdicts as well in some cases can take away from poor care services, failings. i hope not in some cases and almost getting away with it, by just writing of as a suicide. I don't find that acceptable at all.

Edited by Annie, 22 January 2019 - 03:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq