123 replies to this topic

#1 Nook

Nook

Nook

• Members
  • 29,751 posts
  • LocationFighting!

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:43 AM

Hoping to make positive steps in either limiting alcohol consumption or avoiding it all together in 2019. I know recovery isn't going to be perfect, but hopefully I'll be able to just take it day by day and pick myself up if I slip.

Being in hospital has given me a lot of free days, and a lot of time to reflect and gather all the determination I can muster to stay alcohol free when I get out. I also know that physically, alcohol just makes me sicker, it's recommended that alcohol is avoided with the medications I am on, and with TPN potentially causing liver failure, I don't need to add in alcohol as a catalyst to f#$k my liver even faster. I hear that long term alcohol can make anxiety worse and even though it "helps" me in the short term... long term it's probably just perpetuating the negative thoughts and feelings.

Anyway, here's to a fresh start in a new year/ thread :) of course anyone is welcome to join or offer words of wisdom/ support. They are always so uplifting and help me feel not so alone. Thanks!

I did have a drink on new years day, as I had a few hours leave on the day and went home to organise things and chillax. Felt so satisfying and was able to limit it. So that was good. I wanted to drink more, but a little make me nauseous, so didn't want to push it so far,  or end up effecting my treatment.

So, 

1/8

Edited by Nook, 08 January 2019 - 09:45 AM.

#2 *mirror*image*

*mirror*image*

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:13 AM

I'm here reading just to let you know and my thoughts are with you!!. I've definitely never had problems with alcohol but I've had many ongoing health problems due to the bulimia i had in the past. Basically I have to lie low or else my heart acts up. NO overexertion (like walking up the stairs or even a few short walks will mess my heart up), I can't go to the gym, lift weights, take a walk around the lake, play with my nieces and nephews, lift heavy groceries, make my bed in a timely manner, etc, etc etc. no caffeine, no alcohol, no smoking, no heavy duty sugar intake. If i do it sends my heart into a cardiac crazy dance and it's terrifying. It's been like this for 13 years despite being recovered.

So.. I'm not in hospital beds covered with tubes and stuff but I'm constantly battling myself and any form of addiction I used to depend on is out the window whether I like it or not, so I can understand your struggle.

Remember to love yourself and take it one step at a time!! (and then love yourself some more!).. hug yourself as hard as you can reach and every step along the way!! ..

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Edited by *mirror*image*, 09 January 2019 - 11:20 AM.

• Nook likes this

#3 phoenix

phoenix

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 8,289 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:04 AM

(((N))) I hope that you do get to go home soon and the meds all get sorted so that you feel better physically and mentally. It's horrible that your family isn't in contact with you more. Do they live far away? I'm proud of you for limiting your drink when you were out. I know that's a challenge, even when it makes you feel bad. I dont have problems with alcohol but definitely do with food and will eat stuff that I know will make me feel crappy or keep me awake at night and I still eat it anyway. One day, my body will take revenge on me.

I'm glad you were able to get out and see friends and home and just be away from the hospital.

Xxx

#4 Nook

Nook

Nook

• Members
  • 29,751 posts
  • LocationFighting!

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:13 PM

I'm here reading just to let you know and my thoughts are with you!!. I've definitely never had problems with alcohol but I've had many ongoing health problems due to the bulimia i had in the past. Basically I have to lie low or else my heart acts up. NO overexertion (like walking up the stairs or even a few short walks will mess my heart up), I can't go to the gym, lift weights, take a walk around the lake, play with my nieces and nephews, lift heavy groceries, make my bed in a timely manner, etc, etc etc. no caffeine, no alcohol, no smoking, no heavy duty sugar intake. If i do it sends my heart into a cardiac crazy dance and it's terrifying. It's been like this for 13 years despite being recovered.

So.. I'm not in hospital beds covered with tubes and stuff but I'm constantly battling myself and any form of addiction I used to depend on is out the window whether I like it or not, so I can understand your struggle.

Remember to love yourself and take it one step at a time!! (and then love yourself some more!).. hug yourself as hard as you can reach and every step along the way!! ..

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

That sounds absolutely horrible mirror ((hugs)). I have P.O.T.S so have a lot of trouble standing and walking without getting dizzy or having palpations etc so i kinda understand how you feel with not being able to overexert yourself etc. I have to sit in the shower or i pass out, lie down to exercise, take lots of breaks when walking stuff like that. I'm sorry you are struggling with what you are struggling with. It's a huge slap in the face that despite recovery, you still have to battle long term effects from your ed. I'm proud of you though, for your recovery and being determined to keep a positive attitude despite your limitations. That makes you one courageous warrior in my opinion xxx

Edited by Nook, 01 February 2019 - 08:19 PM.

#5 Nook

Nook

Nook

• Members
  • 29,751 posts
  • LocationFighting!

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:28 PM

(((N))) I hope that you do get to go home soon and the meds all get sorted so that you feel better physically and mentally. It's horrible that your family isn't in contact with you more. Do they live far away? I'm proud of you for limiting your drink when you were out. I know that's a challenge, even when it makes you feel bad. I dont have problems with alcohol but definitely do with food and will eat stuff that I know will make me feel crappy or keep me awake at night and I still eat it anyway. One day, my body will take revenge on me.

I'm glad you were able to get out and see friends and home and just be away from the hospital.

Xxx

Thank you Phoenix. I got out of hospital about 2 weeks ago, but ended up back in emergency yesterday for dehydration. Thankfully they let me go after some fluids. They are looking at organising iv fluids for me to do at home so that should hopefully stop admissions like that :)
My most of my family live about 2hrs from me, so i know it's an effort to come up, but i was pretty upset that some of my siblings didn't even message me or anything to see how i was. I try and reach out to them, with messages etc and they never respond. It's sad we are not close and i would like us to, but there's no effort on their part so I've got to just accept that things are the way they are and i can't change that on my own. It's a hard realisation though.

I'm very guilty of eating things i shouldn't too. Even though i know it makes me terribly ill and I'll be up all night vomiting, I'll still do it. I've been better at not doing it after this admission, though. Coming to the realisation it's not worth it, even though i miss food :P I'm sorry you struggle with it too. It sounds like caffeine and too much sugar are big triggers for you feeling crappy, but i know how addictive they are and how hard they are to give up. Good luck working on your goals. I really appreciate your constant support x

#6 Nook

Nook

Nook

• Members
  • 29,751 posts
  • LocationFighting!

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:31 PM

So January was a bit chaotic. Didn't really track where i was with things. Got out of hospital a couple of weeks ago. There were some days i drank a little, sometimes a lot, sometimes nothing. Starting to track again in Feb. Hopefully I'll be successful in limiting and quitting this awful addiction.

0/1. Was in a&e all day yesterdaumy without meds etc so my anxiety by the time i was out was sky high. Ended up having 4 drinks i think when i got home to try and lower it a bit :(

#7 Nook

Nook

Nook

• Members
  • 29,751 posts
  • LocationFighting!

Posted 02 February 2019 - 10:17 AM

1/2
  • phoenix likes this

#8 Nook

Nook

Nook

• Members
  • 29,751 posts
  • LocationFighting!

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:43 AM

2/3
  • phoenix likes this

#9 phoenix

phoenix

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 8,289 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:21 PM

(((N))) I'm glad you're finally home. It just be a relief. It's understandable that you drank after being at hospital without your meds that day. I know I would've given in to one of my vices. Xxx
  • Nook likes this

#10 Nook

Nook

Nook

• Members
  • 29,751 posts
  • LocationFighting!

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:43 AM

(((N))) I'm glad you're finally home. It just be a relief. It's understandable that you drank after being at hospital without your meds that day. I know I would've given in to one of my vices. Xxx

Thank you. It was such a relief to finally go home. There's still some stuff to sort out, so I'm hoping i can avoid getting readmitted any time soon, but my surgeon will decide in a couple of weeks.
I'm starting a course tomorrow and go back to uni at the end of the month, so really just hoping i can get through those. I don't want to have to ppstpone again due to the hospital :(

Ended up having 2-3 standard drinks today. It was super hot and i was super anxious so it seemed like a good way to cool down and de-stress.

2/4

#11 Nook

Nook

Nook

• Members
  • 29,751 posts
  • LocationFighting!

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:34 PM

2-3 drinks again yesterday. I feel like if i can limit it to that for now, it is already a step forward on where i used to be.

2/5
  • phoenix likes this

#12 Nook

Nook

Nook

• Members
  • 29,751 posts
  • LocationFighting!

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:14 AM

5-6 drinks the wed & thurs :(
Today was free though :)

3/8

#13 phoenix

phoenix

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 8,289 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:14 AM

Congrats on an alcohol free day!

#14 Nook

Nook

Nook

• Members
  • 29,751 posts
  • LocationFighting!

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:22 AM

4/9
  • phoenix likes this

#15 sarabear

sarabear

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:17 PM

I'm 40 days alcohol free you guys :) though inpatient played a big roll in that its still been rough. I'm in a halfway house now and a bit discouraged at times but not giving up. I also tried the vivitrol shot and I highly recommend it to those early in sobriety. My cravings (though not stress) have gone down a hundred times better.
  • Nook and phoenix like this

#16 phoenix

phoenix

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 8,289 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:19 PM

^ Congratulations! I've been wondering how you've been doing. xxx

#17 sarabear

sarabear

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:38 AM

Thanks phoenix :) its hard staying put here with my anxiety. So many strong personalities. But my sister and mom are actually speaking to me and saying encouraging things and that really motivates me when I feel like giving up. I want to see my family again so bad. I want a purpose in life and peace of mind. In the same breath I'm terrified of failure and the unknown and feel I can't do this. That it is only a matter of time. I miss my cat :(

Sorry I rambled here. I'm pushing to my 60 days mark. Still a bit to go. 42 days today.
  • Nook and phoenix like this

#18 phoenix

phoenix

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 8,289 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:30 AM

I believe in you and am glad you are pushing through (that's why I liked your post and not bc it's a struggle). I'm also glad that things seem to be better with your family as I know your relationship with them has suffered.

#19 Nook

Nook

Nook

• Members
  • 29,751 posts
  • LocationFighting!

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:17 PM

Sarabear!!! So good to hear from you, and I'm glad you are doing well with this. I know things must still be super hard for you, but you have made a lot of progress :) I'm glad your family is being a bit more supportive too. Good luck getting to your goal of 60 days (and beyond). You have shown so much strength already. I know you will get there xxx

#20 Nook

Nook

Nook

• Members
  • 29,751 posts
  • LocationFighting!

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:18 PM

5/11 for me. Had 3 drinks yesterday. I think my aim will be half the days free for now and keeping on limiting to hopefully a max of 3 for the rest of the month. Baby steps
  • phoenix likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq