• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ashley

Ashley

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

Hi everyone, as I was responding to another post, I came up with a thought... Have any of you noticed a correlation between your happiness levels and your weight? It seems to me that "normal" people lose weight thinking it will make them happy, when the reality is that it doesn't. With ED people, I believe this is the case as well, but to an even greater extent.

Looking back on my life, I realize that I was at my happiest during periods where I was eating "regular" meals and avoiding the scale. Of course, my weight would always be in the back of my mind, but generally speaking, I was happy. Also, the circumstances here are important. During these times, I was happy with my boyfriend, and usually I was busy with school - even though school stresses me out, it gives me a purpose and a goal to work towards.

Sometimes I would exercise everyday (doing cardio and a lot of the weight machines at the gym)... That would make me feel better because of the endorphins, and it would also give me more confidence in my appearance because i liked being toned.

I cannot be fully "happy" at a low weight unless I have positive life circumstances also... Right now, my weight is where I want it to be, but other things in my life are not. I am hoping now for my life to improve, and then I won't be as focused on my weight. I might start a summer class later this month, which is definitely a step in the right direction.

Edited by Ashley, 02 June 2018 - 06:57 PM.

#2 april_rain

april_rain

Rainbow Unicorn

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:43 AM

I have, yes. 

When I was referred to a new psychiatrist and therapist, I was urged to gain some weight. At the time, I was severely depressed and dealing with grief as well. The psychiatrist told me to try and get up to 100lbs because I would otherwise be unlikely to respond to treatment. I've never looked into it, but I assume that nutrition has a lot to do with it. When you're not eating right, you're probably going to be deficient in various vitamins/minerals, which can then affect mood.

~~~~~

What kind of summer class are you taking?

• Ashley likes this

#3 Ashley

Ashley

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 04 June 2018 - 06:14 AM

Oh wow, that's a part of it that I never considered... the biological aspect, how not getting proper nutrients can impact you. That is something I need to work on. Today I did not get any high-quality protein, and as a result, I am not feeling as well as I usually do, and I was having panic attacks earlier. I just took my Klonopin to calm myself down.

I would love to get into this Creative Writing course, but there's a waitlist. I'll probably end up doing a couple of Psychology classes instead and maybe an acting one for fun.

#4 april_rain

april_rain

Rainbow Unicorn

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:10 AM

I am prone to doing stupid things like only eating cereal in the morning and then eating chocolate for supper... If I do that for 2 or 3 days, then I notice that my mood drops substantially, so I try not to do that. 

I just did a quick google search and came across this paper about nutritional deficiencies and depression, which is quite interesting: https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2738337/

---

Those classes sound fun :) I hope that you'll be able to get into the Creative Writing class soon. I've wanted to take one like that, but my anxiety and avoidance has always stopped me from actually doing it. 

• Ashley likes this

#5 Ashley

Ashley

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 05 June 2018 - 06:20 AM

Wow! Yeah I hear you.

That looks like a really interesting study. I've definitely noticed that I feel better when I eat omega-3's. And I get B-12 shots because I am tired all the time don't eat meat. I feel a lot better now in terms of my anxiety than I did before I made more of an effort to eat high quality foods.

Thank you! You should definitely try it... You don't have anything to lose. Everyone in the class is in the same boat where they are vulnerable/ where they have to pour their heart out through their writing.

• april_rain likes this

#6 MissMeyer

MissMeyer

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:20 AM

Maintaining a low weight impacts my quality of life greatly in a negative way and it spurs my bulimia on like crazy. So eventhough I feel happier with my body at a lower weight I have a lot better quality of life at a higher weight because then I have more strenght to do things, can participate at social events without being scared of the food there, can go on holiday and I am less obsesssed with calories etc when I dont have to go through lengths to maintain a weight that my body doesnt agree with, so yeah in general I am definitely happier at a higher weight. But it takes  a huge amount of courage to try to go there if you are at a low weight because you never know if you will be happier in the end. It took me very long to get to the point where I am now and I still get set backs of losing weight because the ED tries to tell me I would feel better then... Which has never been true, every relapse left me just more miserable.

• april_rain likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq