• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 april_rain

april_rain

Rainbow Unicorn

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:27 AM

Firstly, I must apologize: we have managed to pretty much make this forum Trump-free up to this point, and I am now the one to ruin it... 

Something has been bugging me. I keep seeing references to Trump as being mentally ill. Even if he is diagnosable as having, say, narcissistic personality disorder, I still find these references offensive. 

From a BBC article:

" 'He may be a world-class narcissist, but this doesn't make him mentally ill, because he does not suffer from the distress and impairment required to diagnose mental disorder.' "

' He added: "Mr Trump causes severe distress rather than experiencing it and has been richly rewarded, rather than punished, for his grandiosity, self-absorption and lack of empathy.'

' "It is a stigmatising insult to the mentally ill (who are mostly well behaved and well meaning) to be lumped with Mr Trump (who is neither).'

' "Bad behaviour is rarely a sign of mental illness, and the mentally ill behave badly only rarely. Psychiatric name-calling is a misguided way of countering Mr Trump's attack on democracy." '

Actually, I should correct myself: it is starting to piss me off. 

I've been on twitter for over a month now (I had an account for a long time but never used it... I started a new one just to mock Trump) and I keep seeing tweets about this. I recently read one that said:

"Trump is going to explode. Sadly, you can't keep severe mental illness in check for very long. Something will push him over the edge. Soon."

I often reply to these tweets with something like, "arrogance, stupidity, bigotry, racism, and misogyny aren't signs of mental illness".

So, anyways, I wanted to hear what others here might think about this... 

• limon-miele likes this

#2 *mirror*image*

*mirror*image*

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

I just read an article profiling his personality because I personally do think there's something a bit off with him so I looked into it. I also tend to look at it a bit differently. With a bit of humor maybe..

Anyways, the article I read was https://www.theatlan...d-trump/480771/

I didn't even finish it. It's pretty extensive, I'll give it that. I haven't looked up the credentials of the author. I was going to look into it when I was done with the article but then realised it's a mile long.

I think people are just scared. I mean, people are still allowed to jump to conclusions or joke. I don't think they are far off when they see that he is somewhat imbalanced and 'off'. They're just looking for a way to describe what their seeing when they see a brash man with a temperamental personality running America.

Anyways.. In conclusion it doesn't bother me. But then again I really haven't seen it. I haven't read it on social media (not too much anyways). Maybe if it was something I saw constantly on a daily basis it would get to me too..

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Edited by *mirror*image*, 21 March 2017 - 03:58 PM.

#3 april_rain

april_rain

Rainbow Unicorn

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:24 AM

^Thanks for the article - I will read it in a bit. 

I just came across this article about it, which I thought was quite interesting: 

Allen Frances says he's tired of "amateur diagnosticians" insisting that U.S. President Donald Trump has narcissistic personality disorder. 

And he should know. As the chair of the task force that wrote the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV, Frances literally helped write the definition of NPD.

In a letter to the New York Times, Frances, a retired Duke University professor, wrote that Trump "may be a world-class narcissist, but this doesn't make him mentally ill, because he does not suffer from the distress and impairment required to diagnose mental disorder."

#4 phoenix

phoenix

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:35 PM

Honestly it doesn't really bother me, which is somewhat surprising. Usually I get annoyed when people talk about mental illness in responses to articles, as they often show misunderstanding about mentally illness and make everyone out who has a mental illness as bad. I think I'm not as annoyed with the Trump amateur diagnoses because I think there may be something off (though it could be that he has a horrible personality) and there's just so much anger from both sides (the anger is the biggest issue for me). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq