5 replies to this topic

#1 Wednesday

Wednesday

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:33 AM

Why do they say alcohol is a depressant? 

I think alcohol is a good thing for me, it helps me when I'm low on energy... I seem to have been experiencing some type of chronic fatigue for the last 3 years, and alcohol has really helped me manage the pain and low energy levels. There seems to be a bit of awareness around 'medicinal marijuana', but do you think it's possible to use alcohol medicinally? 

(I wouldn't classify my alcohol intake as excessive, in fact I know it's not excessive... it's just that i don't consume it in the traditional way of a glass of wine after work... I prefer to have a shot of vodka here and there to help me get through normally energy draining tasks, like if I have to clean the house etc.). 

#2 april_rain

april_rain

Rainbow Unicorn

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:47 AM

It's classified as a depressant because of it's effect on the central nervous system; when consumed, it basically slows down the central nervous system, which results in altered perceptions/emotions/etc.

According to WebMD "because alcohol makes you sleepy, a few beers or glasses of wine can seem to relax you and relieve anxiety". In small amounts, alcohol can have a stimulating effect, so that would explain how a shot of vodka might help you get some cleaning done. That being said, it's also important to note that alcohol consumption can make depression worse, and it doesn't go well with antidepressants. 

Though I have never really thought about "medical alcohol", I suppose that it could potentially be beneficial so long as it is taken properly...

#3 Lottie

Lottie

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 4,180 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:05 AM

For me alcohol has always woken me up and given me energy. I started using it a lot more when I started experiencing chronic fatigue - get get household jobs done, to write a paper, to do a task...
In my experience it is a slippery slope that I wish I'd never gone down.

~~~~~~~
Practice, Patience, Persistence

imagejpg3_zps0b013c84.jpg     imagejpg4_zps71f54240.jpg

#4 sarabear

sarabear

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:08 PM

It's a classified depressant but an indirect stimulant, depending on your brain and how much you drink I think? I initially can get some energy sometimes depending on my state of mind then other times I'm just washed up in bed staring at the tv at best

#5 Wednesday

Wednesday

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad you guys didn't just shoot me down :) 

April Rain- I'm not currently on anti-depressants and not too worried about it making me depressed... 

Lottie- interesting that you said you've used alcohol to help you too. Why do you say it's a slippery slope that you wish you hadn't gone down? Did your consumption increase over time? 

#6 Lottie

Lottie

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 4,180 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:43 PM

Wednesday - Ja.... Consumption increased over time with tolerance levels changing and I also started to use it more frequently and to help with more things. I ended up drinking to help but hating that I drank. It's taken me 6 or 7 years of trying and failing for me to get on top of it. Each time I tried and failed I just hated myself more. I'd become so dependent on it to help with so many things that I stopped believing I could do so many things without to aid of it. ALSO, it is a depressant in the broader sense - not necessary in the moment but it can trigger regular depression although I couldn't tell you how.

imagejpg3_zps0b013c84.jpg     imagejpg4_zps71f54240.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq