5 replies to this topic

#1 Wednesday

Wednesday

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:44 AM

So, I'm only 31 years old. And, I'm doing much better in terms of my mental health than I was when I was 21 years old... But- I'm finding life much harder? I want to look for a new job, but I find the task daunting. I want to move cities, but feel completely overwhelmed by the idea... I don't feel confident in myself anymore, I struggle to learn new things, to approach people easily... So even though I've worked really hard to recover from mental illness, I feel in some ways worse off?

Will it only get worse as I get older? In my early 20's, it didn't phase me to travel or flat or look for jobs, even though I was barely alive :P Now, I feel like I've become stuck in my life? 

#2 someone_somewhere

someone_somewhere

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:42 PM

My mum tells me it gets easier? She doesn't have mental health problems though.

#3 Wednesday

Wednesday

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:52 PM

^ Interesting! I think over the years mental illness has really chipped away at my self esteem and self confidence. I used to feel that I could do anything... now I feel like I can't do anything. 

#4 greta

greta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationSoutheast, us

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:11 AM

Will it only get worse as I get older? In my early 20's, it didn't phase me to travel or flat or look for jobs, even though I was barely alive :P Now, I feel like I've become stuck in my life? 

This is me to a T! It didn't faze me to move across the country or just see a job and jump in and apply without even understanding exactly what the job entailed, I would just show up and let them train me. Now I have a panic attack just thinking about it, I obsess and think how long will it take me to get there, where will I sit, where is it and on and on. It's like I want the complete blueprint surrounding the whole thing before I will even think of doing it. 

Something occured to me though, while I thought I could do anything while I was younger now I feel like i can't do anything which is ridiculous. The reality is that I couldn't do anything when I was young even though I felt Limitless (I'm actually watching that movie right now- very eye opening) I wasn't, I was just delusional and so I figure that thinking I can't do anything is also delusional but that still doesn't make me get off the couch and do anything- it's just food for thought. 

You can do alot and I probably can too but I think we're too hard on ourselves and put ourselves down. I believe in you little lady.

I've heard it too many times to ignore it, it's something I'm supposed to be. -Rainbow Connection

#5 Wednesday

Wednesday

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:24 AM

Thank you Greta <3

I think the thing is that I have a lot less energy now... less energy to combat my emotions and resistance... but it will probably only get harder as I get older... so I may as well just do whatever I can, now. 

#6 Starlight

Starlight

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:12 PM

I feel the same. I think it's because I used so many destructive coping strategies when I was younger and so I never felt anything.

So now I feel like I feel scared/insecure all the time. Really not used to it.

• Wednesday likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq