14 replies to this topic

#1 GW-Project

GW-Project

We're here because we care <3

• Members
  • 2,801 posts
  • LocationFrom the Universe with Love

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

Share your favorite apps/websites that help you stay fit!

Here are some apps that (have) help(ed) me:

...either by tracking your exercise (Nike+ Running, Nike&iPod, RunKeeper, Endomondo)

...or by tracking your diet (MyFitnessPal)

...or offering you entire workouts (BodyRock, Gymboss, Nike Training)

...or by simply inspiring you (Skinny Jeans, LoseTheBelly, Fitspo!)

Here are some websites I (used to) like by name:

- bodyrock

- zuzkalight

- blogilates

- myfitnesspal

- workthates (Dutch)

- smartasstraining (Dutch, the blog/news letter section)

Anyone else?

Perhaps some youtube channels or fitness-equipment webshops/brands as well?

(within what forum rules allow, I guess it's OK to say you like brand X's workout gear or that webshop Y has great deals on product Z?)

Pinterest, instagram?

(TBH I don't even know what those are but they seem to be popular places?)

Note: many fitness-related apps, websites and communities may be used for 'good' (becoming/staying fit, committing to a healthy lifestyle) and 'bad' (overdoing that same -healthy- lifestyle)... I'm hoping people who make use of this thread will do so responsibly. Keep in mind that the very last thing people who share their favorites with you would ever want is for something to happen to you because of the very apps/sites that were suggested to you in a positive light. I know from first hand experience how easy it is to start obsessing over certain tracking apps. If you suspect you're going down that path please shout out here, anywhere else on this forum or by PM'ing me. I want this thread and all that comes of it to be as positive as possible and I care about you all a great deal <3

Trying to stay sane is like a full-time hobby

#2 Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

• Members
  • 3,961 posts
  • LocationNw, UK

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

The only apps ive used are S Health (samsung only), runtastic and viewranger (gps tracking).

Now ive switched to fitbit and its app but you can link it into other apps like runkeeper and mfp.

I only watch a few tabata channels on youtube for new ideas. Would rather do some exercise than watch and follow it.

Tbh im only use it all for tracking rather than a form of encouragement? That seems to be quite a popular thing with these types of apps-that people use them so people will "give praise", thats not something I find works for me (and would rather die tbh before I made my acxounts public for "cheering"). Either way I'd still do the exercise, i just like knowing where im going/where ive been and how many miles.

*~* life asked death, "WHY DO PEOPLE LOVE ME BUT HATE YOU?" death responded, "BECAUSE YOU ARE A BEAUTIFUL LIE AND I AM A PAINFUL TRUTH" *~*

#3 GW-Project

GW-Project

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:04 AM

^ I'm with you on not particularly appreciating any public features attached to many fitness-related apps. I use an anonymous account and keep as many settings private as I possibly can.

Upon buying an iPhone 5S I thought Fitbit would be the new thing for me but so far I'm completely not feeling it. As an app I find it rather limited. You point out some advanced features I wasn't aware off though. Perhaps I should give my Fitbit app another try this week.

#4 Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

• Members
  • 3,961 posts
  • LocationNw, UK

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:47 AM

^^^ you should see the computer version of the app! I only briefly had a look and plan on taking a proper tour at some point.
I think unless you have a fitbit device, the app only has a few options, its only once you connect devices you get more options and info.

If the Nike+ band hadnt had the most appalling ratings for its app of any of the bands on Android, then I wouldve gone for that, personally if I were them I wouldve just exclusively stuck with Apple rather than making an half assed attempt to come to the darkside!

*~* life asked death, "WHY DO PEOPLE LOVE ME BUT HATE YOU?" death responded, "BECAUSE YOU ARE A BEAUTIFUL LIE AND I AM A PAINFUL TRUTH" *~*

#5 amalia

amalia

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

i use a Jawbone UP (similar to a fitbit, different brand, its a little bracelet you wear on your wrist). to be honest though the most useful thing about it is that it tracks how much sleep i'm getting, how many times i wake up in the night-- not with total accuracy, but well enough. as for exercise, it tracks steps and that would be great if i were a runner, but my primary thing is bicycling which the motion chip can't really pick up on. maybe if i get another fitness gadget i would get one that tracks heart rate and sweat levels but itll be a few years, the technology hasn't *quite* arrived yet. my device doesn't really understand when i'm doing strenuous but relatively non-transitory exercise like ballet and yoga, so that's annoying, but i can manually enter workouts into the app interface.

i also use Moves on my phone, which is bordlerline creepy becuase it tracks where you've gone all day and by what modes of transport--- at the end of the day you get a little map. i really like it though, because it automatically knows when i'm cycling (though sometimes when i'm going really fast it thinks i'm in an automobile which is really flattering!) so at the end of hte day i have a total idea of how many minutes and miles i've cycled that day. also it automatically syncs to a thing i'm doing called National Bike Challenge, wherein i'm competing with my girflriend and some other friends to see who bikes the most in any give week/month.

if i want more specific information about a particular bike ride i use an app called STRAVA which will give me analaytics about speed, distance, elevation, as well as compare my time on various routes to other cyclists who also take those routes. the annoying thing is you have to press start/stop at the beginning and end of a ride and its kind of a battery drain. its geared towards people who cycle competitively, which is not really my thing--- i'm mostly a commuter cyclist, i bike to get around the city and do errands with the fitness aspect as an awesome perk, only about once a week do i do a rigorous ride as a pure workout.

i used myfitnesspal briefly and i found the app really great, well made and easy to use. i tried it out with more of an interest in the app than in my diet (i do research on fitness apps) and quickly got really obsessive about it. i discovered that even years into recovery its just not a good idea for me to count calories in any way, so i deleted the app.

i used FITOCRACY for a while too, which was fun, and i like that you get points and its kind of competitive but that things aren't measured in calories. huge bonus.

SWORKIT is a cool free app that leads you in short, circuit-training style workouts. you can choose from cardio, upper or lower body strength, or "full body." its perfect for the end of a long day when i have some extra nervous energy i need to let out.

ok i sound like an obsessive nut, but again-- one component of my job is researching people's relationships with fitness apps, so!

#6 Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

• Members
  • 3,961 posts
  • LocationNw, UK

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:21 PM

^^^ I moved my fitbit to my ankle (after looking into whether it would work/accuracy and all that jazz) so dont know if you can do the same for the jawbone up but that seemed to be what cyclists were doing with the fitbit flex?
Going to go look up a few of those apps you mentioned, especially "SWORKIT" !

#7 amalia

amalia

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

ooh, interesting suggestion, snail. unfortunately the band is way too small for my ankle, but i'll try strapping it into my shoe somehow and see what kind of movement it registers...

#8 Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

• Members
  • 3,961 posts
  • LocationNw, UK

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

ooh, interesting suggestion, snail. unfortunately the band is way too small for my ankle, but i'll try strapping it into my shoe somehow and see what kind of movement it registers...

I think some people resorted to typing into the laces or straps somehow due to similar issues with fitbit, let me know if it works!

#9 GW-Project

GW-Project

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestions posted here; I installed Sworkit and Fitocracy and I'll give them a trial run tomorrow :)

I have been contemplating getting a Jawbone or Fitbit flex (prob. opt for Jawbone) but being Dutch the cycling-issue bothers me a lot ;) While I'll look into solutions myself, please do update in case some of you figure out more info.

@Amalia: all in all, would you recommend the Jawbone? (I'm considering the Jawbone UP24 onyx in small and I have the latest iPhone)

#10 Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

• Members
  • 3,961 posts
  • LocationNw, UK

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

I love the flex, since I moved it to my ankle its a hell of a lot more accurate. I do like the sleep tracker, I didnt know I had that much broken sleep on average and I do like how you can also use it as an alarm clock :D the down side is charging because obviously you have to take it off, so I sacrifice a nights logged sleep. It does last about 5 days per charge. I looked into the cycling with a tracker more and it does seem peoole resort to typing into laces :)

#11 Spectra

Spectra

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

I just got a Fitbit flex and I was bummed that it didn't pick up on bicycling calories, but the ankle idea is brilliant!  I also love that it tracks sleep and I've recently discovered that I really do feel best on 7 hours of sleep--no more, no less.  It's pretty awesome, that's for sure.

• Snailonvalium likes this

#12 Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

• Members
  • 3,961 posts
  • LocationNw, UK

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

I just got a Fitbit flex and I was bummed that it didn't pick up on bicycling calories, but the ankle idea is brilliant! I also love that it tracks sleep and I've recently discovered that I really do feel best on 7 hours of sleep--no more, no less. It's pretty awesome, that's for sure.

Yeah I was wondering how accurate it was being on my wrist with certain things so I looked into it lol I permanently wear mine on my ankle now. I love the sleep tracker :D

#13 charxUK

charxUK

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

Love sworkit. Thanks for the recommendation. X

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” 

#14 Starlight

Starlight

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:41 PM

I realize this is an old thread, but I did not want to make a whole new one.

I'm thinking of buying an activity tracker, but in the reviews most of them appear to not be very accurate when it comes to tracking activity, which (duh) is what I would be using it for. For those of you who have one, do you find them accurate? I read things like how they can mistake a train ride for a run, things like that. I don't care if it's inaccurate for sleep tracking (which most reviews also said) but I would like the calories burned to be somewhat in the ball park otherwise I don't see much point in getting one TBH.

#15 claire

claire

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:23 AM

I realize this is an old thread, but I did not want to make a whole new one.

I'm thinking of buying an activity tracker, but in the reviews most of them appear to not be very accurate when it comes to tracking activity, which (duh) is what I would be using it for. For those of you who have one, do you find them accurate? I read things like how they can mistake a train ride for a run, things like that. I don't care if it's inaccurate for sleep tracking (which most reviews also said) but I would like the calories burned to be somewhat in the ball park otherwise I don't see much point in getting one TBH.

I have the Fitbit Flex and Garmin Forerunner 235 - I loved the garmin when I was into running/jogging but the Fitbit is really good for step tracking and the apps interface is really nice! Of course you can do a lot more like counting calories, add in more activities and track your sleep... so if you do a lot more than just running/jogging would say go for the Fitbit - it's also smaller and less bulky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq