34 replies to this topic

#1 Buttons

Buttons

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,103 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:17 PM

I have very fine/thin hair. I've always washed it once a day because if I don't it gets very flat and greasy and lank. I'm also a straightener/hair dryer/extension addict and lazy when it comes to caring for my hair so while I'm greasy at the roots the rest of my hair is dry, brittle and full of split ends. Great combo I've got going really..

I know this is bad for your hair because it strips it of all the natural stuff and actually makes it greasier quicker but I can't stand to leave it more than a day without washing it.

I have a friend with the most gorgeous thick hair and she washes it once a week! I couldn't believe it! You could fry a portion of chips with the grease that would be in my hair after a week! :o

So how often do you wash yours? And what hair type do you have?

Edited by Buttons, 28 March 2015 - 05:19 PM.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

#2 Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

Snailonvalium

• Members
  • 3,961 posts
  • LocationNw, UK

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:52 PM

You could save your hair slightly by having it cut and growing the damage out/cut/grow...that would restore some of the health...do you use heat protection for your hair? You could try switching conditioning to every other day and using a more repair type one...also changing shampoo/conditioner can also help hair condition....

Anyway I digress, I have a very....mixed hair type? If I washed and left it to do what it wanted then I have very fine hair....but Then on the other hand it also acts like very thick hair,very curly hair....I think it's confused....and irritatingly it holds onto water like a camel hump :o
I can leave it unwashed for probably 4 days but personally can't because it's probably the only thing I love about myself so it gets washed daily/every other day depending on length. I switch shampoos once a week (I have two open all the time) conditioner I use more frequently if I've coloured it (every wash) but once a week it gets a stronger conditioner...when it's not been recently coloured it gets conditioned every other wash.
Sorry for the essay :o

*~* life asked death, "WHY DO PEOPLE LOVE ME BUT HATE YOU?" death responded, "BECAUSE YOU ARE A BEAUTIFUL LIE AND I AM A PAINFUL TRUTH" *~*

#3 MissMeyer

MissMeyer

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:56 PM

I have wavy/curly hair. The single hairs are thin But I have many so my hair looks thicker than It is . Rather dry even when I was in recovery. It doesn't get greasy overly fast. I wash my hair every other day, sometimes every three days. And It still doesn't look overly greasy then. I use normal shampoo and conditioner for dry hair. And some balm stuff for split tips. They split a lot due to dryness. I try to let my hair dry naturally. Blow drying it is very bad for dry hair. Oh and my hair is dyed. A darker brown than my natural colour.

Edited by MissMeyer, 28 March 2015 - 06:01 PM.

#4 someone_somewhere

someone_somewhere

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:31 PM

I have straight, fine hair and wash it every day or every other day. I'm sure it wouldn't need washing so often if I didn't do it so often, but it gets quite greasy (and covered in food/puke, TBH) after a day. I use cheapo shampoo and conditioner and blow it dry, but don't often straighten it.

#5 Monkey

Monkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:45 PM

I have long (very!) curly hair, I wash it every other day and let it air dry.

#6 Little Miss

Little Miss

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 12,214 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:20 PM

I try to every other day but I can get away with an extra day if I tie it back and use hairspray. If I leave it too long it itches and feels disgusting.

#7 emie

emie

Unicorn Herder

• Members
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:09 AM

I have naturally curly hair that's also fine (not the normal combo) so it doesn't hold the curl for very long. I wash it once a week. I sometimes wash twice a week and know I should wash it more often (it starts getting greasy on day 5) but I don't have time in the morning and I don't like going to bed with wet hair (showering at night wakes me up, not helpful when I struggle to sleep as it is). I don't use any hair products aside from coloring it. I use the generic version of Tresemme (however it's spelled). I'm allergic to hairspray, which doesn't work anyways as it doesn't set until AFTER my hair does its poofy frizzy thing and then holds that style (even if 80s big hair was back in style, I wouldn't go for it). I don't use a hair dryer (they only make the poofy, frizz a bigger issues). My daughter occasionally straightens it for me.  

Fairytales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

Keep going. Each step may get harder, but don't stop. The view at the top is beautiful. 

#8 rowan

rowan

works too much

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationSummer City, Antarctica

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:32 AM

Once a day. I've got fine/thin hair, that goes very greasy after 1 day. I did the no 'poo vinegar thing one summer, and that was a disaster ... i stopped after 3 weeks.

I sometimes go once every other day, but when I do that I need to put it in some sort of hairdo, not just let it hang down.

#9 charxUK

charxUK

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:31 AM

Thickish ginger wavy hair that is fairly damaged due to bad diet, substance abuse, hair dye and sun exposure (ginger hair just absorbs the sunlight, any sunlight and turns it into straw.)

It gets washed every 2/3 days
Trying to do a hot oil treatment once a week, but i always forget. I use Timotei two in one shampoo as it has no colourants or perfumes and cause I can never find the "organic" one which is completely suplphate (and other nasty chem) free.

I straighten once a month to see how the hair growth is going, although it seems to be getting thicker (and shedding) more than it is longer...

“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” 

#10 april_rain

april_rain

Rainbow Unicorn

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:52 AM

I have fine, straight hair. I *used* to shampoo/condition every day, but upon the onset of my last major depressive episode, I simply had no energy to do this (I could only manage to stand under the water and do nothing else). Anyhoo, since then, I have ended up with this schedule:

Day 1 - shampoo/condition

Day 2 - I put my hair into a lazy ponytail/bun and try not to get it too wet when I have a shower

Day 3 - I keep my hair down and let it get wet, but doing do anything else

Day 4 - same as day 2

Day 5 - same as day 3

Day 6 - same as day 2

Day 7 - if my hair is starting to feel greasy, I will restart the cycle; if it's fine, then I will just let my hair get wet. 

Your hair/scalp will adjust over time; when I first started doing this, my hair would start feeling greasy by day 3, but now I can easily go a week before that happens.

I should probably add that I don't do much in terms of styling for my hair; it's either down, up in a ponytail, or in pigtails. 

Also: I have a shower before bed now, and don't blow dry it very often (and when I do, it is only for a minute or two at most). I wrap my hair in one of those head towels and then, an hour or so later, I'll take it off and go to bed. I will sometimes put a small, dry towel on my pillow so it doesn't get damp (I mainly do this in the summer months; in the wintertime, I will blow dry my hair briefly instead). 

#11 Mikki

Mikki

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 6,284 posts
  • LocationUp north

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:17 AM

I wash my hair every 4 days. It doesn't get greasy on day 4 even! Could probably go 5 days but I need to shower to get properly clean. (I wash but I don't shower on those other days.. I hate showering tbh cause it's so exhausting and naked )
My hair did get greasy much faster Before I went longer between washing it though! My hair is thin but it is a bit curly/wavy that gives the volume illusion. My hair is ok I think, though in winter it's very dry and dead but I think that is normal? Anyway.. I shower at night and let it dry by itself (which is usually quick cause again it's not very thick!)
No hocus pokus.
I really do recommend going more days between washing, and putting less 'stuff' on it. Maybe the first couple of times you feel it's greasy, but it gets better and better really quickly!

Edited by Mikki, 29 March 2015 - 05:18 AM.

#12 Woozles

Woozles

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 17,562 posts
  • LocationVictorian Valhalla

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

My hair is very long, wavy & thick-ish (It was ridiculously thick pre-ED, then a lot of it fell out, so now it's somewhere in between :P). I wash it only once a week (unless there's a special occasion requiring me to have clean/halfway-presentable hair), because, due to it's length, it takes forever to dry, then (occasionally) straighten, after. Most of the time I just wrap it all up with a hair clip & let it dry naturally (again because it takes an age to blowdry and then straighten).

Product-wise, I put some Frizz-Ease serum on when it's freshly washed/wet, and some heat-protection spray before using my GHDs on it.
My hair's not in great condition; it's dry as fuq and covered in split ends, probably 'cause I never have it cut/trimmed. But since my health's improved, it does feel in better conditon generally; it has a shine to it now and has also stopped falling out. :)

Edited by Woozles, 29 March 2015 - 07:52 PM.

029hf8.jpgm_4325067cb395eabe5a27c711e24124ce.jpg6.jpg
You were appointed to save my life. You have failed me little Chaos, lover of the madness.

#13 Starlight

Starlight

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:54 PM

About every 2 or 3 days. I used to use dry shampoo in between, but I haven't needed to in a few months. Now I only use it when I go longer between showers because lazy/depressed/away.

#14 Corrupted

Corrupted

New User

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

My hair needs doing every other day. I've tried leaving it longer but some evil grease fairy attacks over night on the second night no matter what! Haha
  • limon-miele likes this

#15 Imaginary

Imaginary

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:40 PM

My hair is very thin and in between wavy and straight, and I wash it every 2-3 days.  Sometimes it goes through periods when it gets greasy on the second day, sometimes I can leave it as long as 4.  Not sure what it depends on really.  I don't blow dry or straighten it.   It's not very healthy though, and does fall out a lot :(

#16 Lottie

Lottie

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 4,180 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:57 AM

Fine hair, short - medium, every second day. Can last longer when my hair is longer & I can ponytail it.

Practice, Patience, Persistence

imagejpg3_zps0b013c84.jpg     imagejpg4_zps71f54240.jpg

#17 letsholdhands

letsholdhands

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 685 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:07 AM

My hair is long with medium thickness which becomes almost straight with blow drying alone. 

I wash my hair every 2-3 days depending on what style I plan on having it in. By day 3 it starts to become irritatingly greasy but I just put it up if I'm in a hurry that day.   

#18 Idiotgirl

Idiotgirl

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:15 PM

My hair is very thin and in between wavy and straight, and I wash it every 2-3 days. Sometimes it goes through periods when it gets greasy on the second day, sometimes I can leave it as long as 4. Not sure what it depends on really. I don't blow dry or straighten it. It's not very healthy though, and does fall out a lot :(

Exactly the same. I try to leave it as long as possible, 4/5 days, because im scared to wash it because of how much comes out, but now its so thin its getting greasy in a couple of days, but i dont bother washing because it looks shit regardless now.

Edited by Idiotgirl, 02 April 2015 - 09:16 PM.

#19 endearinglyeccentric

endearinglyeccentric

PhD in Forumology

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • LocationHogwarts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:13 PM

I have fine, straight hair but an awful lot of it. It gets greasy very easily, I wash it every day because I can't stand it if it's even a little bit greasy. I could probably go to every other day but it would drive me mad!

I wash it in the morning and rough dry it, it either stays down or goes up in a ponytail and I don't use product other than shampoo and conditioner.

Edited by endearinglyeccentric, 04 April 2015 - 07:14 PM.

Dark and difficult times lie ahead, Harry. Soon we must choose between what is right, and what is easy.

Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?
Albus Dumbledore

-24 from HW
BF since 1st Feb 14

#20 greta

greta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationSoutheast, us

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:47 PM

I usually wash it every other day but I'm trying to stretch it out to every 3 days. Usually by day 3 it gets pretty oily but dry shampoo helps a bit.

I've heard it too many times to ignore it, it's something I'm supposed to be. -Rainbow Connection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq